Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

A Dog's Purpose


A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron will appeal to readers of all ages. I was encouraged to read this book by one of my advanced sixth grade readers in my school’s book club. It is also the book club selection for February for my adult book club. The story is narrated by a dog that keeps being reincarnated and wonders if this is happening because he still hasn’t found his purpose in life. The story started off a little slow for me as the newborn puppy is describing his life in his litter and the interactions of the other dogs around him…not as much human contact or people-storyline at first. After he is reborn a second time, the story quickly picked up for me. The dog is reincarnated into a different breed of dog each time and draws on his experiences from past lives to make wise choices and help others in need. Near the end of the book, the dog is a little disgruntled that he has to live again when he feels like he has already served his purpose and is tired and not excited about having to make new attachments once again. He has already loved a boy and served in a special canine unit to save lives. What more could there be? I am recommending this book to all dog lovers. When you finish this book, you will not look at your pet the same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment