Search This Blog

Sunday, April 17, 2011

The Candymakers


The Candymakers is the latest entertaining novel by Wendy Mass. The story is told from four different points of view; as a result, the things the reader thinks he or she knows changes as each character’s story is revealed. Layered storytelling at its best! The four points of view are the four main characters – Logan, Daisy, Miles, and Philip – who are finalists in a candy making competition. Compassionate Logan is the Candymaker’s son who has terrible scars as a result of an accident that happened when he was five years old. Daisy is a strong competitor because she has been training all her life. Miles is trying to get over a horrible incident that only he witnessed. Philip has the biggest secret of all…it is the reason he is even in the competition as he hasn’t eaten candy in seven years. Each contestant has his or her own agenda. Who will win the competition? I admit the first part of the book was a little slow for me, but I know the author had to set the foundation for the story. I actually went back to read part one at the end for things I knew I had missed. By part two, I was hooked. This is a long book…stick with it - you will be so happy that you did. The story is as lively as the artwork on the book’s cover. Other great books by Wendy Mass include Jeremy Fink and the Meaning of Life (a favorite with my teachers and students), Every Soul a Star, 11 Birthdays (kids love this one), and Leap Day. Click on the video below to hear Wendy Mass tell you about this gem of a book.

No comments:

Post a Comment