Search This Blog

Monday, February 11, 2013

Temple Grandin: How the Girl Who Loved Cows Embraced Autism and Changed the World

I am so fortunate to have had one of my smart book club members (a 7th grader) who loves nonfiction tell me that I should read Sy Montgomery’s Temple Grandin: How the Girl Who Loved Cows Embraced Autism and Changed the World. I learned so much about the amazing woman who gave the world answers to what it feels like to live in an autistic world. She, also, gave animals going to slaughter a comfortable end to their lives by designing systems that are cruelty-free. I appreciate the way Temple Grandin describes her connection to animals as a result of the way her brain processes information. She describes her mind as being made up of photographic images. I learned so much from this book and can’t wait to share it with my students. The video clip below is an introduction to the HBO movie of Temple Grandin’s life – many of the scenes are in this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment