Search This Blog

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Bruiser


Neal Shusterman is on my top 5 young adult author list. My students and I love all of his books. I couldn’t wait to read his newest book, Bruiser. I had a difficult time putting this book down even when I knew I needed to get some sleep. This book is narrated by four of the main characters. Sixteen-year-old Tennyson starts off by telling the readers that he isn’t happy with his twin sister’s choice in boyfriends. He is going to keep his eye on both of them. BrontĂ«, Tennyson’s twin, explains why she is attracted to Brewster (nicknamed Bruiser) – it’s an underdog thing – she is determined to help improve his image. Along the way, she falls in love. Brewster, or Bruiser, is a large guy with a bad reputation and rough home life. He has a special gift that helps those he cares about…ultimately, it could destroy him. Cody, Bruiser’s eight-year-old brother, has been protected by his older brother his entire life. I love that each chapter starts off with a SAT-type vocabulary word…the twins’ parents are college professors, hence, their literary names. This book will make you reflect on mankind’s natural instinct for peace and wellbeing. Neal Shusterman’s works include Unwind, Antsy Does Time, Everlost, Everwild, The Schwa Was Here, and the Dark Fusion series. Click on the video below to learn more about Neal Shusterman.

No comments:

Post a Comment